Latest in Highlight
Unprecedented number of sexual assault cases reported amid 30 June’s mass protests
Human rights, post revolution
Five cases of harassment on Friday, one of them a foreign correspondent
Women are urged to use industrial needles for self defence if harassed
The Egyptian Coalition for Children’s Rights described the practice as a crime against humanity
The Central Agency for Public Mobilisation and Statistics (CAPMAS) issued a report on 19 May that revealed the number of formal divorce cases from 2011 to 2012 had risen from 151,900 to 155,300 cases. Despite its increasing prevalence, divorce still evokes social stigma for women that differs depending on their socio-economic level. This stigma is said to be shifting in certain classes. Women shared their stories with Daily News Egypt on how the stigma of their divorce has affected their lives.
Being a feminist almost always involves criticism of male thinking or male domination and this makes sense. In many ways, we are still a male-dominated society; we are not free nor are we truly equal, not yet. Even in first-world countries, women are still paid less than men and professions objectifying women, such as prostitution …
Violations on the rise, governmental representation not exceeding 6%, while trafficking persists
New exhibition forms a connection between the viewer and paintings through various skilful artistic techniques.
Fouada Watch launches new campaign to fight violence in schools and universities
Most of the 600 women in jail were victims of sexual assault and family violence who had run away from their attackers.
A new governmental department is established to fight violence against women in Egypt
Recently, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women published a report stating that 99.3% of women in Egypt had experienced harassment. This included all forms of sexual harassment: verbal, physical, and via electronic devices and telephones. Women commented that the remaining 0.7% probably never ventured outside their homes. If you …
No help from the police in stopping harassment on the Nile Corniche and lack of security leads to gang harassment at Mounir concert
I Saw Harassment volunteers will scan Nile Corniche for harassers
To empower women in technology
One columnist assesses what it means to be a woman in Egypt today, while another discusses Prime Minister Hesham Qandil and his cabinet. The Difficulty of Being a Woman Gamal Abou Al-Hassan Al Masry Al Youm Columnist Gamal Abou Al-Hassan tackles the subject of being a woman. He first mentions his daughter Lila, who seems …
Netherlands-Flemish Institute screens controversial Egyptian film Asrar El-Banat followed by Q&A with the director.
The study indicates that 96.5% of women in their survey said that sexual harassment came in the form of touching, which was the most common manifestation of sexual harassment
Minister of Information causes controversy in Cairo
On 21 April, the internet exploded when an “untrue” (as far as we know) piece of news was revealed. It was that President Mohamed Morsi’s aide, Pakinam El Sharkawy, would be assigned to the post of vice-president of our glorious (ahem) nation. Instead of it being a joyous event over the possible rise of women …
A group of human rights organisations seeks to protect female students amid an alleged rise in school abuse
President Mohamed Morsi touches on a number of issues facing the country in a lengthy interview on Al-Jazeera
The United States State Department highlighted a number of growing human rights concerns in Egypt in its annual report
Like every day, she wakes up at the break of dawn. Sending her children off to school, she heads off to her new job in the city of Zagazig, the capital of Sharqeya governorate.
Egyptian silent film on the struggle of women competes in Short Film festival
By: The Honourable Mobina Jaffer A Brief Overview the Situation in Mali Since the beginning of January 2012, an insurgent group has been fighting with the Mali government for the independence of northern Mali, an area known as Azawad. This group, formally known as National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad (MNLA) and also referred …
Workshop is part of an initiative launched by Morsi to improve the status of women in Egypt
New law proposed to the cabinet includes imprisonment and fines for harassers
The women’s rights group issued their monthly report, condemning women rights’ violations in Egypt