Sudan’s Prime Minister (PM) Abdalla Hamdok has announced that his country reduced its troops in Yemen from 15,000 to 5,000 which operate as part of the Saudi led coalition against Iran-backed Houthis.
Hamdok told reporters on Sunday after a trip to Washington that he believes the conflict in Yemen will not be solved with a military solution, but with a political one, according to Reuters.
He said that his discussions with officials from the U.S. did not involve talks over the Sudanese troops in Yemen. Instead, he said they addressed removing Sudan from Washington sponsor of terrorism list.
Since Hamdok assumed office in August this year, he sought to attract investments and financial aids to his country to enrich its economy as well as lift its name from the US terrorism list.
The U.S. added Sudan to its List of State Sponsors of Terrorism on August 12, 1993. The main categories of sanctions include restrictions on US foreign assistance, a ban on defence exports and sales, and miscellaneous financial, and other restrictions.
Earlier in July, the UAE, Saudi Arabia’s main partner in the war in Yemen said it reduced its troops in Yemen, adding that it will redeploy its forces in the war-torn country.
Saudi Arabia which supports embattled Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi intervened in the Yemeni conflict and formed the Arab coalition in 2015 to prevent the fall of Hadi against Iran-backed Houthi movement. The coalition launched hundreds of strikes in Yemen, killing thousands of Yemeni people, including civilians.