Six Muslim Brotherhood militants were killed during a security raid in their hideout in the 6th of October city, Egypt’s Ministry of Interior said on Tuesday.
The militants, who belong to the outlawed Brotherhood group, exchanged fire with security forces when they stormed their hideout.
The ministry noted that the Brotherhood group were planning to implement a set of terrorist operations in the coming future against churches, vital institutions, military troops, and security forces, with the goal of spreading chaos in the state and to intimidate citizens.
This comes one day after police killed fifteen suspected militants in a fire exchange with security forces in Al-Arish, north Sinai, a senior security source told Daily News Egypt on Monday.
Security forces learned that a large number of militants were hiding in a tourist resort in Al-Rayesah neighbourhood in Al-Arish. Then, the forces raided the militants’ hideout where 15 of them were
killed in a fire exchange.
Army and police forces in Egypt are engaging in a wide scale militant operation launched due to the presence of the Islamic State (IS) in north Sinai since February 2018. The operation is aiming to get rid of the IS affiliated group of ‘Sinai Province’ that has been previously known as the ‘Ansar Bayt Al-Maqdis’ group and became ‘Sinai Province’ in 2014 after declaring its affiliation to the IS.