The list of prisoners allegedly nominated for release, which has been circulating among several media outlets, is inaccurate, member of the Detained Youth Committee and parliament Tarek El-Khouly said on Friday.
Privately-owned newspaper Al-Youm Al-Sabaa published the prisoners’ names that were mentioned in the list, which included detainees accused in well-known cases.
The MP stated that the newspaper’s report was not valid, saying that some of the published names were being examined by the Detained Youth Committee, given it had received complaints regarding specific cases that were on the list.
El-Khouly had told Daily News Egypt in previous comments that the committee only focuses on opinion prisoners, not those involved in violent cases. The committee has received complaints from families, and lists of names from political parties, human rights lawyers, and non-governmental organisations.
Human rights lawyer Mokhtar Mounir commented on the alleged report, saying: “It is fabricated, since among the reported names, some were already releases and others are not even in prison.”
The Detained Youth Committee is supposed to meet with the parliamentary Human Rights Committee within days to discuss what it has reached so far.
The Detained Youth Committee was created a few days after the state-sponsored National Youth Conference. It was called to life by President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi, following calls made by prominent politician Osama Al-Ghazaly Harb to release detainees in cases related to freedom of expression.