A spokesman for Hamas said on Sunday that the group is “keen to have a strong, active and influential Egyptian role” in diplomatic efforts to reach a ceasefire in Gaza.
Fawzi Barhoum, speaking to Maan news agency, said on Monday there is “nothing new” in regards to ceasefire talks in Cairo. He confirmed that Hamas handed over its terms for a ceasefire to Turkey Qatar and the Arab League, adding: “The field is open to countries even [to] move diplomatically and politically with the decision-makers including Egypt”.
Hamas rejected Egypt’s internationally backed proposal for a ceasefire with Israel last week after the group claimed it was not officially approached to participate in the initiative. Egypt’s foreign ministry said the initiative was made public and referred to all “Palestinian factions” following nearly two weeks of contacts with “all sides”.
Egypt’s relationship with Hamas deteriorated following the ouster of former President Mohamed Morsi last year. Hamas is an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood, of which Morsi is a member. In March an Egyptian court issued a ban on Hamas activities inside Egypt and ordered the seizure of the group’s offices and assets.
“You cannot discuss any truce that does not meet the conditions of the resistance [Hamas], does not meet the aspirations of the Palestinian people and stop the aggression no matter which party or direction it is coming from,” said Barhoum.
Israel accepted the ceasefire last week and ordered its forces to stop airstrikes on the densely populated Gaza Strip. Rockets continued to be fired towards Israel and the airstrikes resumed. Last Thursday Israeli forces began a ground operation in Gaza following citing the rejection of the ceasefire and the breaking of a “humanitarian pause”.
Last week Hamas political bureau member Mousa Abu Marzouq said that any truce with Israel would be “a warrior’s rest” adding that Hamas “will continue with the help of God”.