The Ministry of Health has transferred a doctor and the director of the emergency room at Mounira Hospital for failing to treat a victim of severe sexual assault, announced the ministry on Friday.
The health ministry said that following investigations by minister Adel Adawy, it had decided to transfer a gynaecologist and suspend the director of the hospital’s emergency room and deduct 15 days of wages from both of their salaries.
The statement said that Mounira Hospital administered first aid to the victim, but then decided to transfer her to a private hospital to receive further treatment. The Ministry of Health added that as a result it would pay for all the medical expenses of the victim.
The ministry added that it had submitted its findings to the Prosecutor General’s office as part of the ongoing investigations examining the wave of sexual violence in Tahrir Square last Sunday.
There were at least five reported cases of sexual assault amid celebrations in Cairo’s central square celebrating the inauguration of President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi. The incidents were widely condemned and the president and Minister of Defence Sedki Sobhy visited one of the severely injured victims at the hospital earlier this week.